Food Nutrients: Functions and Importance in a Healthy Diet
Herbalife 26 July 2023
Each day our bodies need certain amounts of nutrients that are found in different foods. In order to maintain a healthy diet, it's important to recognize the significance of food nutrients.
Essential nutrients, such as protein, play a vital role in building and maintaining body tissues while providing energy and supporting metabolism. Eat 2-3 servings from different sources every day.
- It is found in animal sources like meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products
- it is found in plant foods like beans and lentils and soybeans, which unlike animal proteins, have no cholesterol and less fat
Incorporating nutrient-dense foods like fish, chicken, soybeans, and lentils into our daily meals is recommended.
Another crucial nutrient, serve as the primary source of fuel for our bodies, particularly during exercise.
Optimal carbohydrate choices include:
- Whole grains, including whole-grain breads, pastas, cereals and brown rice
Colourful fruits and vegetables also supply needed antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Sweets and sugars because they have no fiber, vitamins or minerals
Incorporate Healthy Carbs into Your Diet:
- Try filling half your plate with salads and vegetables
- Have fruits and vegetables for snacks and use whole-grain breads for sandwiches
Fat has several functions in our daily diets.
- Contribute to brain function and overall well-being, also nervous system
- Helps absorption of fat-soluble vitamins
- Adds flavor to foods
- Keeps our eyes, skin, bones and nails healthy
Healthy Fats Come From:
- Fish and fish oil
- Olive oil
To Keep Fat Intake Down:
- Avoid any fried foods
- Bake, roast, broil or steam your food
- Go easy on sauces, gravies, salad dressings, mayonnaise, butter and margarine
- Try low or nonfat versions of foods (e.g. milk, yogurt, spreads, salad dressings and snack foods)
Incorporate Healthy Fats into Your Diet:
- Have fish a few times a week
- Add a handful of nuts or some avocado to a salad
- Use olive oil sparingly in cooking
Fibre is essential for healthy digestion and for keeping the digestive system in balance.
- It helps to move foods through the digestive tract
- It is found in vegetables, fruits, beans, oats, whole-grain rice and pasta, whole wheat bread, nuts, seeds and brans
By understanding the roles of different food nutrients and making mindful choices, we can achieve a nourishing and balanced diet.